Monday, March 29, 2010

"Today, you will be with me in Paradise"

Meditations and prayers on the last words of Christ
This is Holy Monday – Our second step into Holy Week


You are now invited, each day of this week, to a time of personal reflection and prayer.

"TODAY YOU WILL BE WITH ME IN PARADISE"

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:39-43)

On Golgotha’s hill stood three crosses. The two criminals on either side of Jesus heard his first words uttered from his own cross. “Father, forgive them…” Forgiveness was already in place and Paradise was within sight right at that very moment. Even after hearing his prayers for forgiveness, one criminal hurled insults at Jesus. “Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us!” This cross sadly becomes a cross of rebellion and rejection. On the other side of Jesus’ cross, hangs a criminal who truly did hear Jesus’ words and allowed this incredible prayer of forgiveness to become a holy promise for him in his last hours. This man’s last hope hinged on what he had heard from the central cross. The words rang in his ear and in his heart. “Father, forgive them….” And with a contrite and repentant heart, this criminal says, “I have done wrong, but you have not. Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” His cross had, at that moment, become a cross of repentance and the words that bring us to our knees were said that day. “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in Paradise.” The central cross stands tall as the cross of redemption. Forgiveness is in place, nailed to that cross with unremovable nails. Assurance of eternal life comes with our words “Jesus, You are my Lord and Savior. Remember me today.” Grace freely given and mercy so undeserved. We have been redeemed.

Reflection: With the ringing of Jesus’ prayers for forgiveness still in our hearts, we come to the cross this day to say “Remember me, Jesus, today!” There are so many in this world who need to hear that forgiveness and salvation is available to them. Today. Now. Consider how you might share this freeing and eternal hope with others.

Prayer: Most Holy Redeemer … Unfathomable love kept you on the cross for both my sake and others’ sake. Open my eyes and heart so that I might live in this world as both forgiven and forgiving. Let me not keep your forgiveness and salvation to myself. Place before me opportunities to share this eternal promise with others. Today. Amen.
anna

No comments:

Post a Comment