Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Trinity Faith"

Trinity Sunday - I will admit that I, at times, find myself wounded and bruised when overhearing deep discussions of the Trinity. It is personal, I guess, as my own encounter and relationship with God is very much a walk through life with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The wounds and bruises come when I am told that what I know to be true in my own life might not be true at all and I shouldn't write in such "Trinity" words (that's what I get for hanging out with such a wonderful and diverse group of clergy, from many denominations, who love to ponder!). Oh, it is a mystery for sure! A child doesn't understand what is so hard with this kind of relationship! Maybe, I'm still a child ... and that is OK.

TRINITY FAITH

The child stands very small,
hidden in a great tall crowd
of ponderers and speculators,
of those who rename and rework
and those who murmur …
“There is no way. I don’t believe.”

She strains to see,
who holds their attention,
who is causing such commotion …
but she cannot see.
Their tallness surrounds her
and their voices try to drown out
the voice she is so wanting to hear.

But then she hears …
“Come unto me, little child.”
She looks around.
She seems to be the only child.
So the little one squeezes and pushes
her way through the crowds
who are still murmuring,
“There is no way. I don’t believe.”

In the clearing … in this place
between the murmuring ponderers
and the One who said, “Come, little child”,
she finds herself running,
with arms open wide,
as any child would run
toward LOVE.

The little one expected a hug from the One,
but instead, he took her hand and saw the bruise.
“What happened?” he asked
(knowing all along that someone had slapped
her little hand for not being a part of
the renaming and reworking and disbelief).

Yes, the little one expected a hug from the One,
but she received hugs from the Three.
The One who whispered, “beloved child”,
the One who healed her tiny bruised hand and
whispered, “Forgive and forgiven,”
the One who whispered, “I will not leave you as an orphan.”
It was too mysterious, yet entirely enough for her.

She looked at the huddled-together ponderers
and knew that they saw only One.
And she herself pondered …
Is that why he called out,
“Send the little children to me,
for such is the kingdom of heaven?”

The child embraced the Three….
and those huddled together
still saw only One,
and still murmured…
“There is no way. I don’t believe.”

anna murdock 2010©

No comments:

Post a Comment