Sunday, December 23, 2012

"A Heap of Love"


In 1989, I gave my four remaining great aunts spiral notebooks, pens and a list of questions.  I wanted to know of their childhood years, their parents and their grandparents.  Please tell me what they were like. What did their home look like? Walk me through it, please.  What were their parents’ favorite Scriptures and hymns (and theirs as well).  I asked about their Christmas memories at ‘the homeplace’ out in the country.  It has been years since I read what my great aunts wrote.  Early this morning, by the light of the Christmas tree, I curled up on the sofa and read my Aunt Cecile’s memories of Christmas.  All of my great aunts have now passed away but in the scribbled words found in a notebook from someone who grew up with so very little, I received what I most needed to receive this morning … a reminder that LOVE is more important than anything else in this world.

 (Aunt Cecile’s words) …

 
"You should have seen our decorations.  Garland and Espie and I (and at times Beulah, your grandmommy) would go to the woods and hunt running cedar that could be draped over our windows and on our pretty tree we’d find.  Mother would pop and string popcorn and drape it all over the tree.  We used holiday pieces off of trees that had red berries on them.  We would try and help Mother place all of this where it would look the prettiest.  There was plenty of room for presents under our tree but we did not find many there.  Maybe some parched peanuts, some molasses candy that she would wrap and put in the bag with the peanuts.  Just something like that.  No gifts at all.  But with all of that effort there was A HEAP OF LOVE."

(Back to me … I will take some parched peanuts, some molasses candy and A HEAP OF LOVE any day)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment