Sunday, December 21, 2014

"Ready to GLORIFY" (Thoughts on the 4th Sunday of Advent)


Last night, I drove by the church (Broad Street UMC / Statesville, NC) and glanced at the sign that shares with all passersby the worship times, our pastors' names and the sermon title. The sermon title is "GLORIFY!"

I smile as I think of that early this morning in the warm glow of the four Advent candles (and just a few days before Christmas). I wonder ... hmmmm ... just days before the birth of the Christ-child, were the angels "warming up" their proclamation and praise and glorifying ways? Were they antsy to burst through the heavens? Did God restrain them for a few more days? In this one word, GLORIFY, I sense the stage being set ... the angels giddy with joy (and ready and waiting to explode the heavens) and this babe, the Christ-child, being held in the very hands of God. On this day, the waiting of Advent for me becomes thoughts of the waiting of angels and the waiting of God and the waiting of the world. GLORIFY! It is filling our hearts and on the tips of our tongues. It is drawing ever closer!

In our Advent waiting, may we be much like the angels ... ready and waiting and maybe even a little giddy with joy as we prepare to proclaim the birth of the Holy Child.

"GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO!"  (I'm practicing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment