Friday, April 3, 2015

Today, There is Silence (Good Friday)



As a child, I didn't have the luxury of checking weather.com or The Weather Channel for forecasts ... I had my mother to call attention to the weather on Good Fridays.  My earliest memories of this day leading up to Easter were of her telling us to notice the weather.  "There will be clouds on this day ... maybe even rain or a storm if only for a brief moment."  There was a heaviness in her forecasting as if she knew something that I didn't know.  She continued by saying,"It is God's reminder."  Mom left it at that.  She left me moving about through the rest of my Good Fridays with a heaviness on my heart that I couldn't explain away.    She left me to dwell in these Fridays without jumping into my Easters.

I believe that it was Barbara Brown Taylor who once said to preachers, "Stop two paragraphs shy of a good Presbyterian sermon."  That is what Mom did ... and that is what God does on this day when Jesus' last words from the cross were "Father, into Thy hands I commend my spirit" and then falling into the silence of death. God stopped two paragraphs shy of what we so want to know.  Today is Good Friday and Jesus is crucified.

THE END ... or is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment