Tuesday, June 28, 2016

"Do What You Were Called To Do!"


In 2004, I spoke during the closing worship service at the PAUMCS National Convention. That evening, over 300 teddy bears from all over the US were placed at the altar for first responders to have in their cars and on their fire trucks for children in trauma situations.

One found its way into my car (one teddy bear, not one first responder… as a matter of clarification!) It had fallen out of a bag of teddy bears and stayed quietly in the trunk of my car for a while. I found the little bear later and much to my surprise, there was a note hidden in a small pouch that was tied around his neck. The note told me the story … it seems that the churches in the UMC Kalamazoo District in Michigan had passed this teddy bear from church to church, praying at each stop for the unknown child who would one day need hugs from this little bear. Yes, the churches gave this bear their hugs to be delivered to a child.

Why this bear jumped out of the bag and found cover in the trunk of my car, I’ll never know. But what I do know is that I have kept him in my apartment for years as a reminder of the goodness and gentleness of such non-threatening hugs from a little bear for an abused child. This little bear that had traveled far and been hugged by many has whispered to me many times, “Pray that a child might go through this day without fear or attack.”

My mother needed a teddy bear to take to her PrimeTimers meeting yesterday. The senior group wanted to give stuffed animals to the speaker who was from the local abused women’s shelter. It is time … it is time for this little bear to do what he was called to do. I fluffed his fur and handed the bear over to Mom. Sigh …as much as I wish that it wasn't so, there is a frightened child somewhere needing a hug from a very special bear.

It’s your time to shine, little bear!  Do what you were called to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment