Thursday, September 29, 2016

"The Parting of Clouds"


Last night, 
I was soaked
by the storm
and the lightening
frightened me
as I ran from the car
to the apartment.
This morning, 
the skies were grey
and heavy
with the promise
of dreariness
in all of my day.

But as I drove to work
I saw the smallest 
of schoolboys 
with the largest
of backpacks
joyfully break away
from his mother
and run toward the school
(she released his hand
without protest).

The crossing guard,
who hasn’t looked my way
in decades,
(which makes me wonder
why I wave at him daily)
raised his head,
smiled,
and waved back.

As I continued
along my familiar route
on this dreary morning,
I saw two men 
who usually wander
the streets alone
walk toward each other
with smiles 
and outstretched hands
as if to greet the morning
(perhaps they have felt
alone for too long).

And of all things,
every single light
turned green
as I approached it
on my way to work!

It is wondrous and
somewhat miraculous
to me
how a raised head and wave
or a child anxious to learn
or unexpected greetings 
or green lights
can part the clouds!

No comments:

Post a Comment