Tuesday, January 24, 2017

"A Good-News Gift"


Long ago, I discovered that my writings joyfully and painfully brought people in and out of my life. There are times when I have found that it is incredibly hard to delete an e-mail address because of a death. My reluctance is part of my release, I guess. Less than a year ago, one such friend, Paula Morse, died of cancer (3-9-16). She was a UMC licensed local pastor who had served churches in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. She was an encourager to me and one who prayed for me from afar. Paula was also a potter and a person who took every opportunity to tell others that they were indeed beloved children of God. She reminded me of that truth often.

Yesterday, I received a box in the mail from Paula’s sister. It contained a small pottery angel (about 2 1/2" tall) that Paula had made … an angel holding a heart. As if I didn’t already know and hadn’t been reminded over and over again by Paula and others that I am a beloved child of God, this special gift made by the hands and heart of a pastor and generously given by her sister reminds me of this once again. I never tire of that good news.

May I continue to find words and ways to share with others what Paula knew with all certainty and passed along so lavishly … that you and I are beloved children of God. In our days, may we look at others through the eyes of the One who calls us “beloved”. Perhaps then we will truly see one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment