Saturday, July 29, 2017

"For Everything, There is a Season..."



There are several things that I think should be a given in life. One is that workplaces should offer one paid “sleep day” a year.

Another is that we should never think that we are too busy to stop and appreciate the small things that are around us. A dandelion standing alone in a field of violets in my Aunt Janie’s yard has taught me to look at everyone as beautiful (there isn't a weed among us). A feather surrounded by dry fallen leaves on a sidewalk reminded me yesterday that there is change both in the bird and in the season.
On my very routine weekday drive to work in High Point, NC this past week, I passed by a beautiful, blooming crepe myrtle with First Presbyterian’s tower/steeple rising above it and the early sunlight shining on both steeple and tree so perfectly that I was convinced that they were God-lit just for me. And yet, the other crepe myrtles are losing their blossoms and I also know that heavy rains or a strong wind or passing time will do the same to this beautiful tree as well. The sunlight will, no doubt, take a different path as the days progress. But for now, in this moment in time, the composition of crepe myrtle and tower/steeple and morning light is second to none in its stunning beauty. “For everything, there is a season and a time for every matter under heaven …”

O God, give us eyes and hearts to see all that you would have us see. Whisper your lessons to us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment