Saturday, February 17, 2018

Lent, Wilderness, and Forty Days


It is my wilderness …
  a place to which I am being led.

   It is my forty days …
yes, my forty days
    to endure and to seek,
to trust and to pray,
  to be surrounded by
   very tending angels.
       
It is my aloneness,
    and wilderness and forty days.
I would hope that
   you too might allow it 
      if and when it comes …
      for there is a Holy Presence here.
      
 The wilderness is born
    out of a great silence 
    that hopes for a sudden glimpse
  of God in worship
    when all others around me
    are following their worship bulletins
      so carefully … so dutifully … 
      so worshipfully … so very well.

It is my wilderness.
    It is I who sing the hymns,
     with parched lips.
    It is I who reaches out for the morsels
       that the Spirit hands to me
       when I am so malnourished.

It is my wilderness.
It is I who listens for shouts 
   yet am satisfied
  with holy whispers.

It is my response to God to live into,
   not others to discourage.
The words, “Get thee behind me….”
  are on my lips, on guard and ready
  for one more attempt 
       to change direction.

It was my wilderness, 
… my forty days,
… my seeking, 
… my journey, 
… Your leading.

Holy One, you are in it all
   and in that, I do trust
   these unknown steps
  during these forty days.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment