Friday, March 30, 2018

Good Friday



“There will be clouds on this day …
maybe even rain or a storm,
if only for a brief moment.”
There was a heaviness
in her forecasting
as if she knew something
that I didn't know. 
She would solemnly say,
"It is God's reminder."

My mother left it at that.
She left me moving about
through the Good Fridays
of my childhood
with a heaviness on my heart
that I couldn't explain away.
She left me to dwell
in these Good Fridays alone,
looking to the skies
for the ominous clouds 
to move into my life,
“if only for a brief moment”, 
so that I wouldn’t
jump directly into my Easters.

Good Fridays are just that …
We are left to look up
at a cross and into the eyes
of the Crucified Christ.
We are left to stand
at the foot of the cross
(or run from it)
and, if we choose to stay,
we are left to hear 
Jesus' last words …
"Father, into Thy hands
I commend my spirit.”
We are left to hear
the deafening silence
of Jesus’ death.

The day ends with 
the darkness 
of a crucifixion
and before
we hear words
that we need to hear
from God.

Today is Good Friday and Jesus is crucified.

THE END ... or is it?



anna murdock
3-25-16



No comments:

Post a Comment