Tuesday, October 23, 2018

"MY EARS HAVE HEARD OF YOU, BUT NOW ... "

(An offering based on this week's lectionary scriptures: Job 42:1-6, 10-17 and Mark 10:46-52).



We can be found
along life’s road …
disciples who have seen,
followers who rebuke, 
one of many in a 
muttering crowd,
overlooking (or stepping over)
the one, the beggar,
whose only possessions
are faith and hope
and a name 
that is covered
with the dust 
of his or her days.

A dusty faith whispers,
“My ears have heard of you, O LORD …
my ears have heard of you.”

How many cries 
from the roadside
have been the cries
heard that day …
“JESUS, SON OF DAVID,
HAVE MERCY ON ME …
SON OF GOD, 
HAVE MERCY ON ME!”

A stepped-over hope whispers, 
“My ears have heard of you, O LORD..
my ears have heard of you.”
There is no contentment 
in hearing alone.
The implications are great
and costly for us all
in the one answered question …
“What would I have you do for me?
I WANT TO SEE!”

And the one 
who has answered the question
declares,
“My ears had heard of you, O LORD,
but now my eyes have seen you!”

Let those who have sight
be beggars no more
for there is great wealth 
to be found 
in such witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment