Thursday, March 7, 2019

"Stepping Out into Lent"


It is my wilderness …
a place to which I am being led.

These are my ‘forty days’…
yes, my ‘forty days’ 
to endure and to seek,
to trust and to pray,
to be surrounded by
very tending angels.
       
It is my aloneness,
and wilderness and ‘forty days’.
I would hope that
you too might allow it 
if and when it comes …
for there is a Holy Presence here.
      
 The wilderness is born
 out of a great silence 
 that hopes for a sudden glimpse
 of God in worship
 when all others around me
 are following their worship bulletins
 so carefully … so dutifully … 
 so worshipfully … so very well.

It is my wilderness.
It is I who sing the hymns,
with parched lips.
It is I who reaches out for the morsels
that the Spirit hands to me
when I am so malnourished.

It is my wilderness.
It is I who listen for shouts 
yet am satisfied
with holy whispers.

It is my response to God to live into,
not others to discourage.
The words, “Get thee behind me….”
are on my lips, on guard and ready
for one more attempt 
to change direction.

It was my wilderness, 
… my ‘forty days’
… my seeking, 
… my journey, 
… Your leading.

Holy One, you are in it all
and in that, I do trust
these unknown steps
during these forty days.

Amen.



1 comment:

  1. Anna, your 9/11 remembrance is a blessing. Your faith and spirit are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete