Wednesday, April 17, 2019

PREPARATION

Days before
my mother passed away,
I gave her a simple manicure …
I gently rubbed lotion 
on her hands
and feet 
and face …
I brushed her hair
and placed a hint of color
on her lips.

As I look back on that morning,
I see that it was 
Preparation.

She reached out 
for my hand.
I took it and began to slowly sing
“Blessed Assurance.”
Without a sound,
she mouthed the words
as I sang; 
she squeezed my hand
in time to the music.
I proclaimed with joy, 
“We are singing a duet!”

As I look back on that morning,
I see that it was
Preparation.

Preparation for her duet
with Another …
and my duet 
with Another
as well.
Blessed Assurance.

Yes, as I look back on that morning,
I see that it was all
Preparation.


(My mother, Betty Lazenby Murdock, passed away on 4-4-19)

No comments:

Post a Comment