Wednesday, September 11, 2019

"I REMEMBER"


(Thoughts on the day and evening of  the 9/11 attacks)

I remember
the most beautiful blue skies,
white billowy clouds
and gentle breeze.

I remember
children rolling down a grassy hill,
hearts filled only with giggles and joy …
and I remember
the tears that filled my eyes
because their innocence
would soon be shattered
when they were told of the news.

I remember
a great desire to scoop them up,
shielding them forever
from things such as
fear and terror and sadness.

I remember
walking into a church that evening …
one that wasn’t my own …
a sanctuary filled
with strangers
and never feeling more alone
then I did among them.

I remember
and will always remember
the touch on my shoulder
and the whisper in my ear
from a stranger.

I remember
that he walked across the aisle
as the pastor spoke.
I remember
his words of compassion…
“I don’t want you to think
that you are alone.”

I remember seeking him out
so that I wouldn’t be alone
as I left the church that night.
He stopped
and introduced himself to me.
He smiled at his child
and then at me and said,
“My daughter’s name is Anna”

I will always remember his face
when I said,
“And I am Anna as well.”
I remember
that at that very moment
he realized why
he had chosen me to touch
and to offer words of assurance
to this other Anna, …
a stranger to him,
alone among the hundreds.

As I remember
18 years ago,
I hope to also remember
that others feel alone
in the crowds of their world,
for whatever reason.

O God,
point me to the one
who most needs
to know that they are not alone,
to the one who needs a touch,
to the one who needs a
reassuring whisper.

Gracious and Loving God,
help me to always remember…
give me words most needed …
nudge me to touch someone’s shoulder
so that you might touch someone’s
helplessness and hopelessness.

I remember … may I never forget.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment