Saturday, April 3, 2010

"Father, into your hands ... "

Meditations and prayers on the last words of Christ
This is Holy Saturday – Our seventh step into Holy Week
There is a quietness in this day and a vigil to keep


You are now invited, each day of this week, to a time of personal reflection and prayer.

“FATHER, INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMEND MY SPIRIT”

Darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon (the sixth hour), while the sun’s light failed; and the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” Having said this, he breathed his last. (Luke 23:44-46)

The Scriptures say that Jesus’ last words came in a loud voice. What great effort must have been found in his last breath to produce words that were heard above a whisper. “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” Jesus says, “Father”, and the Father-Son relationship is restored. He affirms his trust in his Father. There is no longer what seemed to be separation and silence when the sins of the world slammed hard upon the shoulders of Jesus. Certainly, his Father had not turned away from him. Through it all, Jesus decides where to put his trust. And at the time of his very choosing, when ALL has been said and done, Jesus breathes his last breath. The crucifixion comes to an end with the total oneness of Son and Father. “Father, take what I have offered … my suffering and sacrifice. Into your hands I commend my spirit.”

Reflection: What burdens, what things that hurt and pierce your soul do you need to leave at the foot of the cross today? “Father, into your hands I place these things.”

Prayer: Holy Sacrifice …. You have suffered so much for me. Your words have flowed down from the cross in puddles of forgiveness and love and hope and promise. My gratitude can only be adequately shown if I offer the same to others. Make my heart tender toward others, O Lord, and give me the strength and endurance to do what you have called me to do. Into your hands … into your hands. Amen.

anna

No comments:

Post a Comment