Tuesday, November 4, 2014

"O God, Let It Be So!"



Last Friday afternoon, I pulled into the busiest gas station in High Point (lower gas prices naturally create long lines and lengthy wait times). I was fortunate.  I found a spot quickly.  As I was pumping gas, I noticed a car creeping around the rows of gas pumps, the driver obviously looking for the best and fastest lane. We all know the ways of this … unless absolutely necessary, waiting behind vans, suvs or trucks probably isn’t the best choice and the majority of vehicles that day were those. I was almost finished so I motioned for him to pull in behind my car. He did.

Suddenly, his door opened and out jumped an African-American man in his 40’s. “Excuse me … may I show you something?” I don't think that I've ever had anyone ask me that at a gas pump. Hmmm… ok, there were men pumping gas in the lanes beside of me so why not. So, I said, “Sure!” He reached into his car and pulled out a cotton shirt in the most beautiful African print. It was obviously new, still with the creases in it from shipping. He held it up and asked, “What do you think?” It was beautiful and I told him so. Then the man’s face lit up and his grin turned into an ear-to-ear smile. He said, “I think so too! I ordered the shirt from Africa and it has just arrived. I couldn’t WAIT to show someone. I’m SOOO proud of it!  Can't you tell?” I laughed and said, “I can tell by your face … by your smile! You chose the perfect shirt. It is very beautiful.” “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” the man said. He returned to the driver’s seat and I finished filling up my car and drove off.

This Monday morning, as I think back on that and as I ready myself for a new week, I wonder if there will be a moment in my week that will arrive like a long-awaited package, just for me, that will light up my face when I recognize the moment as beautiful and holy, and that will give me words that I can't wait to share with another person.

O God, let it be so!

No comments:

Post a Comment