Sunday, January 25, 2015

"Us and Them ... TOGETHER!"

There are churches where both congregation and clergy feel a weariness where there should be excitement and worship and purpose ... churches who sense partitions, distancing one from another ... churches who speak and hear the words "Us" (clergy) and "Them" (parishioners) and "goats and sheep" (who both seem to stinketh at times but all are beloved by God?!).  This morning, my words are not only a "View From the Pew" as one of "Them" but a "Prayer From the Pew" for all who are "Us" and all who are "Them" and for all who truly desire to seek the Lord and live out God's will.  I pray for partitions to come down and praise, prayer and purpose to rise up together instead.

I am one of “them”
but not one of “those”
(you know, those stinky goats
and bleating sheep)
so I’m not sure
if there is a word
for the likes of me
other than
“beloved”
or “disciple”
or yes, at times
“wandering lamb.”

Neither am I one some call “us”
although I have been convinced
that we are all “us” in some way.

So, I’m looking for words
other than “them” or “us”
and looking for ways that
encourage “together” instead …
moving “them” and “us”
always forward,
ever yearning,
and forever God-ward.

O God, hear my (our) prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment