Saturday, February 7, 2015

"A Blustery Winter's Day in the South"


On a winter’s day
in the place where
 I find myself living,
it is a rare day
when there is snow or ice …
but there can be, however,
a wind that drives the cold
through sweaters and
layers of clothing.

While most put on coats
and wrap scarves around
necks and mouths
and ears and noses…
while they tugged at their gloves
and plop hats on their heads
and dive into the blustery day
with heads down and eyes
looking only at the cement
and grumbling at the
wickedness of the wind,
I walk outside with
my head up, no coat,
car in sight,
and maybe an allowance
of a whispered “brrrrr”.

You see, I don’t want to
miss anything that a
blustery winter’s day
in the South
might offer to me.

With earmuffs on,
I would have missed
the soft, fluttering sounds
that curly bark on a tree
make in the wind.
With head down,
I would never have seen
an acorn
dance joyfully
across the walk …
bouncing this way
and that way.
If too concerned with
my hair or the “brrrrr”
of the moment,
I would not have
raised my head to see
the hawk soaring
in strong winds …
soaring in a way
that was much different
from his day before.

I would have missed it all
if my ears were covered
and my head was down
and my heart was
wrapped too tightly
to want to hear and see
what a blustery winter’s day
might gift to me.

In a windy winter’s day
I don’t want to miss
the rustling and dancing
and soaring of creation.
There is coffee waiting
and I will be warm soon enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment