Saturday, February 21, 2015

"Be Still, and Know That I Am God"



(a morning's surprise of a  Lenten devotion)

With all of the Lenten devotionals and suggestions of scriptures to read during the days of Lent, early this morning, while still curled up under a blanket, I reached for my Kindle and turned to Chapter 5 (called “Dulce Domum”) in “The Wind in the Willows” by Kenneth Grahame.  A paragraph about a moment in the day of MOLE’s little life found a place within me and brought to mind “Be still, and know that I am God.”  Restless in going to bed last night and even more restless in waking this morning, I listened carefully to the words in “The Wind in the Willows” …  here is what I read:

"It was one of these mysterious fairy calls from out the void that suddenly reached Mole in the darkness, making him tingle through and through with its very familiar appeal, even while yet he could not clearly remember what it was. He stopped dead in his tracks, his nose searching hither and thither in its efforts to recapture the fine filament, the telegraphic current that had so strongly moved him. A moment, and he had caught it again; and with it this time came recollection in fullest flood. Home! That was what they meant, those caressing appeals, those soft touches wafted through the air, those invisible little hands pulling and tugging, all one way! Why, it must be quite close by him at that moment, his old home ... "

(back to me) … Who would have ever thought that Mole in “The Wind in the Willows” might become a part of my Lenten devotionals this morning.  Who would have thought that these descriptive words might help me remember that being sensitive to the scent of God and that sitting on a log and being still (which is what Mole eventually ended up doing, even as his tears flowed) might be a portion of "knowing". 

What remarkable words found  in this chapter, Dulce Domum.  Searching, sensing, catching it again, being moved by a Current, hands pulling and tugging, ALL ONE WAY.  

This morning, “Be still, and know that I am God” flowed from the pages of this very special book.  I give thanks to the One who whispered, “turn on your Kindle!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment