Wednesday, February 25, 2015

"When Dreams Become Reality"

As I brushed the powdery snow
from my car this morning,
I remembered other winters
when I chipped away
at thick ice
with my kitchen spatula
or, with great effort,
pushed snow away
with a cookie sheet.
I remembered each step
when I ever-so-carefully
made my way
down the untreated walk,
only to fall
face-down in the snow
This morning, I found myself dreaming
of a garage or carport.
SHELTER …
that’s all I ask.
It’s a small enough dream,
isn’t it?

Sitting at my desk at work,
in a chair that
swivels and rolls,
in an office with no windows,
and in a cubbyhole
that isn’t inviting,
I found myself
dreaming once again …
dreaming of a big wooden porch.
My daydreams were of
porch rockers that didn’t
swivel or roll
but slowly rocked
back and forth
with a rhythmic creak.
Rocking in a porch rocker,
drinking iced tea
and being in the presence
of a dear and trusted friend …
A PORCH …
that’s all I ask.
it’s a small enough dream,
isn’t it?

The reality of it all
is that neither carport
nor wooden porch
is in my near future.
But dreams become hopes
and hopes become prayers
and prayers are heard always
and in special ways.
They take on different
shapes and hues …
even the shapes of
the shelter of carports
and the hue of a porch
where I can be silent
and exhale.
Prayers become the iced tea
that quenches a thirst
that is hard to describe
and the place and presence
where I am called
both “friend” and “beloved”.

Oh God, give me SHELTER
in your great Love and  Presence.
Shelter me from things
that might
freeze my heart
or cause me to fall
face-down in this world.
Equip me with words
that I might share
and compassion
that I might offer.
Lift me up and brush me off
when I feel an aloneness,
and whisper once more,
“I am with you always”
and “beloved child.”

Receive my “welcome”
on this PORCH
of my dreams and hopes
and questions.
Be silent with me,
or in conversation with me,
Holy One.
Teach me to listen.
Help me to rock
on this porch of life,
as creaky as it is,
so that I might be in
rhythm with your will.

SHELTER and a PORCH …
my dreams have come true
in that place where
dreams become hopes
and hopes become prayers
and prayers become reality.

AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment