Thursday, February 12, 2015

"Sunday, I Realized"


Sunday, I realized that
the old hymns are more important
than some think.
I understood this
by looking at others as they sang
and by opening my own ears 
and heart and memories
as I joined them in the
recessional hymn.

I looked to my left and saw
a little girl across the aisle,
head bobbing and eyes twinkling
as she looked adoringly at her mother
and sang without 
the need of a hymnal,
“Oh victory in Jesus, 
my Saviour forever …”
She had heard the hymn before;
she had sung the refrain at other times,
perhaps in other churches,
no doubt with family.
Her face had
"My Saviour forever"
written all over it.

As the old hymn was sung
by the congregation,
I found myself opening my ears
and listening to my mother,
standing beside of me …
singing beside of me.
Her voice isn’t perfect
(well, neither is mine) 
but she brought sweet music 
to my ears. 
In a way, it was celebratory 
for she had been absence
from church for four weeks
with a winter’s illness
and now she was back!

I continued to sing
along with my mother beside of me,
the little girl across the aisle,
and the congregation that surrounded me.
I then "heard" 
my grandmother’s voice, 
sliding up and down the notes
as she so often did
with the old hymns.
As a child, I would giggle
when I would hear her sing,
running the familiar notes together.
It was a gift on Sunday
for me to hear her voice 
once again in my memories.
I miss her.
I will now admit
to sliding up and down 
a few notes during the singing
of the hymn,
in memory of her.

Sunday, when I sang, 
“I heard an old, old story
how a Saviour came from glory,
how he gave his life on Calvary,
to save someone like me”
I realized that it was because
of my mother and grandmother
and a childhood of the
teaching, preaching, singing and worship 
in this church,  
as well as the old hymns
sung by countless people
who have surrounded me
over the years
that I have heard the
“old, old story.”

Sunday, as I sang 
the final refrain
I was brought to tears
by the words,
“He loved me ere I knew him”
for I know, without a doubt,
that this is a truth 
in my life.

When I want assurance the most,
when I struggle to find
prayerful words or scriptures 
at the moment
when I so desperately need them,
old hymns find their way
into the urgency
of my searching
and I sing
“It is well with my soul.”

No comments:

Post a Comment