Friday, July 10, 2015

"Making Ghosts of People"



I know that it is a bit nerdy to be so anxious to get my hands on "Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee, but I am. "To Kill a Mockingbird" offered so many life lessons for me and showed me how a man of integrity and wisdom, through Atticus, walks through his day. The book had not one wasted word, in my opinion.

One of my favorite passages in a book (EVER) is from "To Kill a Mockingbird". I will share it with you ....

"Nobody knew what form of intimidation Mr. Radley employed to keep Boo out of sight, but Jem figured that Mr. Radley kept him chained to the bed most of the time. Atticus said no, it wasn’t that sort of a thing, that there were other ways of making people into ghosts."

It's so easy to do, I'm afraid ... making people into ghosts. I hope that I never choose a form of intimidation, no matter how subtle or veiled, to keep a person out of sight. I pray that in each of my days, I do not, intentionally or unintentionally, find other ways of making people into ghosts. A smile goes a long way, a wave to someone along the sidewalks of my route says "I see you", a look into a person's eyes can be a 'ghostbuster' moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment