Thursday, September 10, 2015

"Careless"



EN ROUTE 9-10-15:

 There is a lovely (but locked) iron fence that surrounds a small lush green area beside of a downtown church. I pass by it each morning of my work-week and always glance its way. What I suspect to be a meditation area is fully visible from the sidewalk and very enticing yet beyond reach for those who most need a place of respite.

As I glanced its way, I noticed a wooden cross from the inside of this grassy area leaning carelessly against the iron fence. It reminded me that there was nothing “careless” about Jesus turning his sights to Jerusalem. There was nothing “careless” about Roman crucifixions. There was nothing “careless” about the Resurrection. And it should never be “careless” in the way that we welcome others (or keep others at arm's length).

This morning, I felt as if there is a message of carelessness visible in a leaning cross and a small place of peace that lies beyond locked iron fences.

No comments:

Post a Comment