Wednesday, September 23, 2015

"Either/Or"


It is my thinking that
there are dog people
or cat people
and there are
math people
or word people.
There are Heinz people
or Hunts people…
life always seems to be
either/or
with allegiance
to one instead of both.

I have always
considered myself to be
a mountain person,
with dreams of a bungalow
in a small mountain town,
with the tune and whispers of
“It is Well With My Soul”
in my heart,
and with silence and tears
at the first sights of
the Blue Ridge Mountains …

and yet,
a clear view of the ocean
and the sound of the
waves and the
wonders and mystery
of God’s constraints
as the vast body of water
limits itself upon the shore
fill me with words
that rush into the
shoreline of my soul
much like the
waves themselves.

Perhaps, it isn’t
‘either/or’ for me
but the gift of
what is most needed
at the time that it is
most needed …
a mountain person
or an ocean person
and the Holy One knows
which is best for me,
when.

No comments:

Post a Comment