Friday, October 23, 2015

"My Ears Had Heard of You ..."


(Mark 10:46-52)

We can be found
along life’s road …
disciples who have 'seen',
followers who rebuke,
one of many in a
muttering crowd,
overlooking (or stepping over)
the one,
the beggar
whose only possessions
are faith and hope
and a name
that is covered
with the dust
of his or her days.

A dusty faith whispers,
“My ears have heard of you, O LORD …
my ears have heard of you.”

How many shouts
from the roadside
have been the very cries
heard that day …
“JESUS, SON OF DAVID,
HAVE MERCY ON ME …
SON OF GOD,
HAVE MERCY ON ME!”

A stepped-over hope whispers,
“My ears have heard of you, O LORD..
my ears have heard of you.”

There is no contentment
in hearing alone.
The implications are great
and costly for us all
in the one answered question …
“What would I have you do for me?
I WANT TO SEE!”

And the one
who has answered the question
declares with certainty of sight,
“My ears had heard of you, O LORD,
but now my eyes have seen you!”

He is any one of us
who have now 'seen' ...
those who have new sight
are beggars no more
for there are riches in Love
and great wealth
to be found
in such witness
of ears that had heard
and eyes that now see.

No comments:

Post a Comment