Friday, February 12, 2016

"It Is My Wilderness, Not Yours"


It has been my wilderness ...
  a place to which I was led.
My wilderness, not yours.

It has been my 'forty days'...
yes, my 'forty days' and not yours
    to endure and to seek,
    to trust and to pray,
    to be surrounded by
       very tending angels.

It has been my aloneness,
    and wilderness and 'forty days'.
I wouldn't want this for you,
   yet I would hope that
   you might allow it
      if and when it comes ...
      for there is a Holy Presence there.

 The wilderness was born
    out of a great silence
    that hoped for a glimpse
    of God in worship
    when all others around me
    were following their worship bulletins
      so carefully ... so dutifully ...
      so worshipfully ... so very well.

It has been my wilderness, not yours.
    It is I who sang the hymns,
          with parched lips.
    It is I who reached out for the morsels
       that the Spirit handed to me
       when I was so malnourished.

It has been my wilderness, not yours.
It is I who listened for shouts
   and heard holy whispers.
I ask that you don't say that you know best
      which cross I should choose,
      but consider my steeped-in-prayer "NO"
      as valid of an answer as a "YES".

It is my response to God to live into,
   not yours to discourage.
The words, "Get thee behind me...."
  are on my lips, on guard and ready
  for one more attempt
  to change my mind ...
     to change this direction.

O God, how do I tell them
  that the cross I have just put down
  was what you asked of me then ...
  and that which I have just picked up
  is what you ask of me now?

When I prayed for words from you,
   you gave me sight!
You pointed to the wooden cross
   so familiar to me in the moments
   of my every-day.

Has this cross stood tall for years,
   on this busy corner along my way,
   on the front lawn of the church
   in my neighborhood,
   subject to the elements,
   for a time such as this?

I have looked its way,
   every day of every month
   and have given thanks
   for forgiveness and grace.
Yet, this day you spoke to me
  through this weathered cross
  in a different way.
How wonderful are your thoughts, O God!

When was the old cross-piece
   replaced by the new one?
It is so noticeable,
   so different from the vertical piece.
Freshly cut wood.  Caramel in color.
Nailed to a grey, weathered piece of wood.
There is such a stark contrast
   and in that, you speak to me!

You have given me words in this sight!
Words of newness in the same wooden cross.
You have asked me to share
  with those who say "NO",
  that it is good and right
  to put down the old sameness
  of the cross I once picked up
  and pick up another cross,
  nailed together with a newness,
  and pieced together by you.

It was my wilderness, not theirs ...
... my 'forty days', not theirs,
... my aloneness, not theirs,
... my seeking, not theirs,
... your leading, not theirs,
... my cross, not theirs;
        my cross
          that you so wonderfully
          pieced together with a newness
          and commanded me
          to pick up.

Holy One, you are in it all
   and in that, I do trust
   these unknown steps.

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment