Tuesday, August 16, 2016

"Early Summer Mornings" (Aug, 13-15, 2016)



I thought it odd
that the early hours
of my Saturday morning
were silent and still.
There were no cautious sounds
in the trees …
sounds that a sentinel might make, 
moving into guarded position.
Perhaps it was the heat
of the summer’s morn.

I thought it odd
that the pre-dawn hours
of my Monday morning
were silent and still.
Was it was too early or dark
to be noticed by them?
I tried to be quiet
as I packed my car
so as not to alarm
the self-appointed
guards of the trees.

And, as I think back, 
it was odd
that sandwiched between
the silence of Saturday morning
and the silence of Monday morning,
there was Sunday morning …
there was urgent rustling and a
loud “CAW, CAW” 
and the response from far off
of “CAW, CAW” …
repeated again and again and again.

Just maybe the crows 
knew the difference 
and provided
the neighborhood with their own
Sunday’s Call to Worship!
(or is it  Caw to Worship?)
To them, it was not odd at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment