Sunday, August 7, 2016

LACE and GRACE


Yesterday, I remembered
those summer days 
of my childhood …
those days that
brought out the best
of a mother and daughter
and Queen Anne’s Lace.

“Go out and play,” she would say
and I found myself running 
to the empty field.
At times, it was the
kite-flying field.
Other times, it was the
tag-playing field.
And still other times,
it was a baseball field,
beckoning very young, giggly players,
to run through weeds
toward imaginary bases.

But on a perfect day
the field would be filled
with Queen Anne’s Lace.
The little boys wanted 
nothing to do with such things
as flowers
so the field was mine.
No kites … 
no shouts of “Tag, you’re it” …
no giggles or the shouts of
“Run, run, runnnnnn!”
I was alone in a field of beauty.
Alone with flowers to be picked.

Many consider these flowers
to be weeds, 
but not me and not my mother.
At the sight of my bouquets of
Queen Anne’s Lace,
my mother would fill jars 
with water tinted by food coloring.
The stems of “lace” were divided
and I would put them in the jars,
knowing how thirsty they were.

Yellow, blue, red, green water.
The jars looked like stained glass.
And soon, the white flowers of 
Queen Anne’s Lace would 
become the colors of the water.

"Drink, for you are thirsty!
Drink, and become even more beautiful!
Drink, and be filled!"

This morning, I will think
of Lace and Grace as I,
along with many others,
receive Holy Communion.

"Drink, for you are thirsty!
Drink, and become even more beautiful!
Drink, and be filled!
Drink, and become the colors of Christ
   in this world!
Drink, for not one of you
is a weed!"

LACE and GRACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment