Monday, May 7, 2018

"Dripping with Grace and Love"


When I was a child, Holy Communion was neat and tidy and predictable. The bread was in tiny perfectly-shaped cubes. The juice was offered in brass trays in the tiniest of glass cups ... perfectly measured. Yes, it was neat and tidy and there was no hope of receiving more than allotted by the Communion stewards.

But now? Even this very day? A piece of bread is torn from a loaf in pieces that are never perfect nor are they small. A cup is offered and I dip the bread into the juice. I hear my name and words of remembrance. Sunday morning Communion was nourishment in portions that I needed ... messy and enough and dripping with Grace and Love. I will admit before you all that I licked my fingers after I received Communion for I wanted and needed every last drop of what was offered to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment