Sunday, November 14, 2010

"A Child in the Sanctuary ... Again"

(Please read Ephesians 4:11-16)

When I was a very young child (soooo long ago) there was always a “buzz” in the sanctuary of Broad Street UMC/Statesville, NC whenever our missionary to Hong Kong, the Rev. Lonnie Turnipseed, would come back to the States and worship with us. I would hear those around me whisper, “Lonnie Turnipseed is here!” Oh, I was too young to completely understand the work of a missionary, but I knew that it was God’s work. So, when he worshiped with us, I would search the sanctuary, hoping to catch a glimpse of “the missionary” ... the one who had created such a "buzz"!

Today, after the worship service was over and most of the people had left, I heard the words "Lonnie Turnipseed is here!" I felt very much like a child in the sanctuary again. I looked around, hoping to see this person of my childhood. I saw him! He spoke to me for a few minutes and tolerated me telling of my long-ago memories of his visits to our church.

It was then when I REALLY looked at this man and saw that there was no aura surrounding him or halo above him. I heard no angelic voices singing in the background. He was an ordinary man called to do God's work. I was looking into the face of Lonnie Turnipseed, but seeing also you and me ... ordinary people called to do God's work.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear a "buzz" in the sanctuary when it begins to fill for worship each Sunday? "Look, look around at all who are here. HE is called to do God's work! SHE is called to do God's work! Just look!"

Today, I was a child in the sanctuary again. I pray that next Sunday I will be as well, as I find myself in the midst of those who do God's work.

Gracious and Loving God … You know our names and call each of us. You delight in the “buzz” that is anywhere when we gather and when your work is being done. Oh, how often we feel like children though, looking toward others as the ones who have answered your call. Help each of us to grow up in your ways, in your love, in your calling and in your rejoicing in the “buzz”. Help us to not feel so small in your kingdom-work. Amen. (oh, and thank you for Lonnie Turnipseed from this child of yours named "anna"!)

anna

No comments:

Post a Comment