Saturday, November 20, 2010

"Kingdom Words - Kingdom Ways"

Ponderings on the Reign of Christ the King

Sure, it's easier to some to avoid the words "Christ, The King" but when have we, as disciples and Christ-followers, found that the easiest routes are the ones to take! (or ?) My best advice for our "Christ the King" focus is to not allow this to be a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees. This is a king who leads by example, who kneels on a dirty floor and washes feet, who pours out hope and grace and mercy, intermingled in his blood. So, as Christ-followers, isn't it topsy-turvy and somewhat unbelievable that we too want to be a part of this kingdom? Perhaps this reflection is most important. Are we also active participants in this kingdom?

“KINGDOM WORDS - KINGDOM WAYS”
(Please read Luke 23:33-43)


Just hours earlier, it was pre-dawn and they stood, face to face. The
room was filled with the golden glow from lit oil lamps. The governor,
in a robe befitting of his position in life. The accused with a
bruised face, looking nothing like a king. And yet, Pilate asked, "Are
you the King of the Jews?" The answer echoed throughout the halls of
the headquarters and echoes to this very day. "My kingdom is not from
this world." Jesus said, "My kingdom." With that declaration, a piece
of wood was soon found and the words “This is the King of the Jews”
were carved into it.

Both this “King” and this inscription would soon be hanging from a
cross at the place that is called The Skull. To his left and to his
right were criminals, nailed to similar crosses, who surely heard the
words “Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing”
coming from the lips of this “King”. Kingdom words. Intermingled
with the blood flowing from his cross were words of grace and mercy
flowing down as well. This is the proclamation of the kingdom? This
“King” died as he has lived, among sinners, among the questionable
ones, among the outcasts. In his dying words, he spoke as he had
always spoken - with words of hope and promise and words of grace and mercy. One criminal demanded that Jesus prove himself to be “King”. He scoffs at Jesus. The soldiers join in. All are sarcastically
demanding that Jesus put on his “kingly” robes and save himself. All
except for one, that is. The other criminal took to heart the words
spoken from this “King”. Forgiveness for his criminal ways at this
late hour? Is this possible? Did this “King” just give a thumb’s-up
instead of a thumb’s-down? This unbelievable, last-minute hope
brought the words “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom” from the weakened voice of the criminal. From the like-wise weakened voice of the “King” came “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” Grace and mercy indeed!

Such a strange time to place these Scriptures before us, isn't it? Or
is it? Soon we will find ourselves in Advent waiting. We will once
again hear the words from the prophets of the promise of a Messiah, of
a Wonderful Counselor, of the Prince of Peace. In the weeks ahead, we
will look into a manger as we have done year after year and call this
baby the Newborn King. We will hear an angel proclaim that Good News has been born into this world. A Savior. Christ, the Lord. And yes,again the heavens will explode with "Glory Be to God" from the heavenly host, right on cue! But this day, before we step into a time of Advent waiting or look into the face of the Infant Jesus, we find ourselves standing at the foot of the cross and overhearing words of grace and mercy. We look into Jesus' face. We remember him telling us to look at his own birth in a different way. "My kingdom is not from here. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice." Kingdom words from the King whose birth we will soon celebrate.

Today, we too look into the face of Jesus the Christ as we prepare in
the coming weeks to look into the face of a newborn king. We can
understand the confusion as to this kingship. The King we worship wore the most unlikely of crowns. It was brow-piercing. His "royal" robe was placed around his shoulders with mocking allegiance and later gambled away. His scepter was a shepherd's staff. His royal chalice was filled to overflowing with forgiveness. Our King was lifted high by human hands, not on an elevated throne, but on a cross. Yes, this is Christ the King, the One who proclaims the kingdom of God to be on this earth. As he walked with his disciples then and as he walks with us now, we hear his kingdom words. "Love the Lord your God. Love your neighbor as yourself. Forgive them. My Peace I give to you. Follow me. Pray this way. Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." Our King kneels at the feet of all, both leader and servant by example, with commands to go and do likewise. Kingdom words. This is a reign different from any other.

In a way, these kingdom thoughts are unsettling for it requires of us
to consider who Jesus is in our lives. Within both a democracy and
monarchy, the people hope for an easier way of life. Within this life
of a disciple and Christ-follower, we find that this kingdom goes
against any of the little kingdoms of ease of beliefs and responses
that we have built for ourselves. I choose to follow this King. I
want to follow his example … to be an instrument of justice and grace
and mercy. Yes, I choose to follow this King even though it would be
much easier not to … for with this choice, comes the picking up of my
cross, daily.

I keep on my bookshelf a framed quote from Mother Teresa which has
become both a daily prayer for me and a “kingdom creed”. It seems
right to share these words with you as our closing prayer. Christ the
King has surely turned the kingdom upside down!

Gracious God … hear our prayer,

When I am hungry, send me someone in need of food.
When I am thirsty, send me someone needing a drink.
When I am cold, send me someone to warm.
When I am grieved, offer me someone to console.
When my cross grows heavy, let me share another's cross too.
When I am poor, lead me to someone in need.
When I have no time, give me someone I can help a little while.
When I am humiliated, let me have someone to praise.
When I am disheartened, let me have someone to cheer.
When I need people's understanding, give me someone who needs mine.
When I need to be looked after, send me someone to care for.
When I think only of myself, draw my thoughts to another.

Amen.

anna

No comments:

Post a Comment