Saturday, November 27, 2010

"Today, I Sought Peace"

(Thoughts for the first Sunday of Advent)
Please read Isaiah 2:1-5, Psalm 122, Romans 13:11-14 and Matthew 24-36-44


I sought Peace, this day before Advent begins. And so, with coffee in hand, I sat on the sofa … in the early hours … in the silence … with only small white lights on an otherwise bare tree to break into the darkness of the early morning hour. And it was good.

I sought Peace, this day before Advent begins. And so, I moved to another sofa, in front of the only nativity I’ve ever known; you know, the one that was bought when my older brother was born, 59 years ago. I remembered days of my childhood, standing on my tiptoes, in “footie”pajamas, with my hands on top of the cabinet, trying to pull myself up to see the wonder of this story of animals and a stable, of shepherds and sheep, of singing angels, of a young mother and a father kneeling with folded hands before a little baby, and of magi and gifts. I felt a bit of the wonder again. And it was good.

I sought Peace, this day before Advent begins. And so, I began to read the Scriptures. Words of Isaiah … words that say that we shall stream to the mountain of the LORD’s house. Isn’t that a glorious thought … “streaming” toward God? I heard the beckoning. “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.” I heard words of promised peace. Swords into plowshares. Spears into pruning hooks. In the twinkling lights of the tree, in the darkness of my morning, I heard “Come, let us walk in the light of the Lord!” And it was good.

I sought Peace, this day before Advent begins. And yet, I heard “KEEP AWAKE! BE READY! YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN THE LORD IS COMING!” Such yelling broke into the silence of my morning. Such questioning crept into the feel-good sights of twinkling lights and a nativity that is worn by the careful touch of little fingers and the toll of years. I read of a thief in the night and suddenly realized that Advent is not such a quiet, still or safe time. And it was good.

I sought Peace, this day before Advent begins. But I heard, “You MUST be ready” and I wondered how many times the Son of Man has come to me … in unexpected places … with a face of the unexpected … at a most unexpected time and in a most unexpected way. I have been brought to a place of unpeace this day before Advent, so that I might seek Peace anew. What is it that you want of us? To be heralds as well?

And it is good.

O LORD, do break into that place where our hearts are housed. Break in, O God, into the darkness, into our complacency, into those places where we are not ready and help us to become ready. Open our eyes and our hearts so that we might recognize Jesus in the unexpected. Teach us your ways so that we might walk in your paths, illuminated by your Light. Amen.

anna

No comments:

Post a Comment