Tuesday, April 19, 2016

"Kingdom Words ... Kingdom Work" (ponderings on John 13:31-35)


He stands by our shorelines
and beckons, “Follow me” ….
nets are dropped,
first faith-steps are taken,
healings and teachings begin.

We sit in his presence
and whisper, “Lord, teach us” ….
we are taught to pray,
we are taught to live,
we are taught to forgive.

He proclaims, “I AM” …
the hungry hear “Bread of Life”,
the thirsty hear “Living Water”,
the lost hear “Good Shepherd.”

He utters, “It is finished” …
love flows from a cross 
and out from an empty tomb.
He looks our way
and we hear, “Go and tell others.”

He asks, “Do you love me?” ….
and waits for an answer.
He says, “Feed my lambs;
tend my sheep”
and hands us
his own servant’s towel.

Through his words,
he places upon us
his very reflection to wear …
“I give you a new commandment”, 
“just as I have loved you”,
“love one another”
 and “everyone will know
 you are my disciples.”

In his kingdom words,
in this new commandment
to love others
as he has loved us,
we become part
of kingdom work on earth.

THY KINGDOM COME …
THY WILL BE DONE
ON EARTH
 AS IT IS IN HEAVEN.



No comments:

Post a Comment